Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Lilac

6 am already!
I could kill to get 5 more minutes. One big day lied ahead. Her first performance on stage. She loves her dress especially the lilac laces I stitched at the hem.

I stared myself for a while in the mirror. My eyes look dull. How time flies.  Years ago there used to be a sticky note every morning on this same mirror. I have each one of them stored safely in a box inside the storeroom. Though I don't look at them anymore now.

"Happy birthday Ma!"
I turned around to find my angel in her teddy bear pajamas. Rubbing her sleepy eyes she held a lily plucked from our backyard. It meant everything.

Her play was fabulous. Children grow so talented these days. All the parents were gifted with a bouquet by the kids at the closing event. I forgot mine and left them lying on the chair.

She won't eat tonight with all her excitement and endless talk. I could finally put her to sleep. The doorbell rang at 11:30.

There was no one outside. As I was about to close the door lied there  at the doorstep, the same bouquet of lilies. Tied to its end was a scrolled note.
"She's got your eyes, but they look at you just the way I did."

No comments: